Photos by Kike Arnal
From the first note, you'll want to jump out of your seat! Orquesta La Moderna Tradición bursts with the sweet yet powerful sound of the Afro-Cuban charanga orchestra, which features violins and woodwinds interlocking with driving afro-Cuban rhythms.
Since 1996, the 11-piece group has thrilled audiences across the country with a mix of contemporary timba-infused arrangements guaranteed to get you on your feet and traditional danzónes that transport you back to the Havana social clubs of the 1950s.
La Moderna Tradición has performed at Lincoln Center in New York, the Smithsonian Institution, The San Francisco Jazz Festival, the Telluride Jazz Festival, and many others — their tours have taken them from Alaska to El Paso and abroad.
"Orquesta La Moderna Tradición continues to produce some of the finest danzón-charanga dance material anywhere....Gorgeous."
Bruce Polin, descarga.com says of their latest CD, En Canto
Peter Watrous, New York Times
"Richly authentic... old wine in a new bottle for a younger generation to savor"
Jesse Varela, Latin Beat Magazine
"It's cadence is so sensual that it's virtually irresistible!"
Enrique Fernandez, Miami Sun Sentinel
"Phenomenal music... a joy and a real delight, the kind of record that playfully reminds one of the connections between music across oceans, cultures and centuries."
James Lien, CMJ online says of their first CD, Danzonemos
Desde la primera nota, tendrá que saltar de su asiento! Orquesta La Moderna Tradición estalla con el sonido dulce pero potente de la orquesta de charanga afrocubana
LaSalsaEsMiVida.com says of their CD En Canto
"Records like this make the planet larger and more mysterious... Imagine a blend of Tito Puente and a tango, and you'll begin to get an idea of the power and beauty of this music"
Sarah Ludwig, Ink 19
- Sign up for our E-Mail List
- Videos of the Orquesta
- Gallery of our show at The Freight and Salvage, Berkeley (2019)
- Visit our photo gallery to see galleries Tregar's trip to Cuba here and here
- Gallery of our show at The Seahorse, Sausalito (2011)
- Gallery of our show at Yoshi's, Oakland (2011)
- Gallery of New Year's Eve, 2008 at La Peña
- Long in-depth interview with Tregar Otton
- Join our Danzón Forum
- Read a history of Cuban music
Latest Orquesta News
- Read a review from Oakland Magazine: Orquesta La Moderna Tradición Brings on the Danzón (2019-02-15).
- Read a review of our CD, Goza Conmigo at rootsworld.com