• Forum Info
  • Register
  • FAQ
  • Search
  • Like us on Facebook!
Danzon 2013 Texas, Mexico, Cuba

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Danzon.com Forum Index ==> Danzón — The Music and Dance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AustinMarlon

PostPosted: Jun 13, 13, 8:28    Post subject: Danzon 2013 Texas, Mexico, Cuba Reply with quote

Thanks for an opportunity to share and inquire. I am planning a dance adventure: Cuba or Veracruz? Moderator can separate, format or edit however you like to suit or format responses.
I am new and sorting out all the forums and topics. Thank you, I look forward to listening to your music. I am interested in many styles of traditional and historical music and dance, and have been a dancer for 20 years. From 1995-1999 I hosted "The Radio Havana Show" on public radio here in Austin. I started playing classic mambo and charanga / 50s era -and "modern" interpreters in that vein, but gradually evolved to playing classic Son Cubano and Danzon. My Cuban friends said I played grandfather music, but I feel (early) danzon compositions ...to be great American 20th Century music -ala Scott Joplin, Duke Ellington... Or Bob Wills.
My partner and I have performed traditional Cajun dance for Austin Cajun Aces for many years at Evangeline Cafe here in Austin. Google / youtube or come on down Monday evenings.
Of course I watched the movie "Danzon" -I (still) suppose it to be a reasonable overview of the way danzon comes across in Mexico City Salons and Veracruz parks and bars. I went to Veracruz /Plaza del Armas for several weeks in 1999 to study and dance -I know the basic box "+" -and how the compositions are constructed. The dance community in Veracruz was wonderful; warm and genuine hospitality! I wonder how things are different now, perhaps you might have some suggestions. I like Jalapa, too. Once I heard there is a large community in Oaxaca
I have a general idea that danzon is not danced or played so much in Cuba, but perhaps there are still some salons and venues. One of your correspondents suggests that Cuban and Mexiican danzon are different. Are there any dance communities you can recommend ? "Cubans invented beans and rice" as they say.
To all respondents... If you could dance for a month, where would you go?
Anyway -that pretty much covers everything -if y'all want to respond, or start new threads to address/ separate issues = "all good"
Thanks to all; if you come to Austin, I will show you around!
Marlon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Danzon.com Forum Index ==> Danzón — The Music and Dance All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: